These common household items can poison your dog.
Pet poisoning is more common than one may think. About 214,000 pets die each year due to poisoning. The daily household substances that may seem perfectly harmless are usually the reason for such poisoning incidents. Owners are so deep into humanizing their pets that they forget if something is safe for them doesn’t mean it won’t hurt the pets. The most dangerous dog poisons are the food items and medications that are available in our homes daily. Pet poisoning symptoms can be gastrointestinal and neurological problems, cardiac and respiratory distress, coma, and even death depending upon how much of a particular substance was consumed and ingested.
Ten common dog poisons
- Over-the-counter meds.
Medications like Tylenol, ibuprofen, and naproxen (Advil, Aleve), along with herbal and nutraceutical products that are common in every household are hazardous for dogs.
- Prescription medications.
Some drugs save people’s lives, but the same drugs can take a dog’s life. And the damage doesn’t always come with a large dose; even a small dose can result in something fatal. Some of these harmful medications include Prescription anti-inflammatory and pain medications. Those can cause stomach and intestinal ulcers or kidney failure. Antidepressants can result in vomiting and serotonin syndrome. Blood pressure medications are dangerous too.
- People food.
Another side effect of humanizing the dogs is that we forget how harmful human food is for them. The dogs are naturally going to ask for a bite from your plate. But as a parent, it is up to you to deny that request. Dogs have different metabolisms than humans. Some common food items, such as onions and garlic, can be dangerous for dogs. To name a few such foods and beverages, here is a list.
Alcohol is the first. Symptoms of alcohol poisoning in dogs resemble those in people. These may include vomiting, breathing problems, coma, and, in critical cases, death.
Avocado may be the healthiest item for humans, but it has a substance called persin, which is the poison for dogs. Consuming Avocados can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
Dogs may suffer from symptoms like weakness, overheating, and vomiting, following the consumption of macadamia nuts.
Grapes and raisins are something your dogs must stay clear of. Even though the experts aren’t sure about the reasons, but these can cause kidney failure in dogs.
Some other food items you should keep away from your dog at all costs include tomatoes, mushrooms, and most seeds and nuts.
- The lovely chocolate that every human-like, is not a good item for your dog as it contains substances called methylxanthines that can cause vomiting even if given in small doses, and death if ingested in larger doses. Dark chocolate is more dangerous since it contains more of those dangerous chemicals than do white or milk chocolate. The amount of chocolate and its effect on a dog depends on the type of chocolate and the size of the dog. Coffee and caffeine are dangerous, too, because they contain similarly dangerous chemicals.
- Veterinary products.
Some medications that are intended to help dogs can have the opposite effect. The medication in the discussion is flea and tick treatments. Alike human medical cases, pet poisoning by veterinary drugs is possible. Some of the more commonly used medications that can result in poisoning are painkillers and de-wormers. Of course, we parents and vets use these meds with good intentions, but thousands of dogs are unintentionally poisoned by such products every year.
- House cleaners and fire logs.
House cleaners are full of chemicals, and like any cleaner or bleach can poison people, it can cause pet poisoning, also. The result can be stomach and respiratory tract problems. Other substances that can act as dog poison are chemicals contained in antifreeze, paint thinner, and chemicals for pools. The pet poisoning symptoms induced by cleaning items are stomach upset, depression, chemical burns, renal failure, and death.
Dogs are not smart enough to read labels or differentiate between dropped food and rodenticides. Many items that are used as baits to lure and kill rodents can lead to our dog’s stomach, which is a serious problem. The symptoms vary as they depend on the nature and quantity of the rodenticide.
Items such as bug sprays and ant baits are as dangerous for your dog as they are for ants and bugs. These items can put your dog’s life in danger.
- Plants. These pretty things are appealing and a good decorative item, but they are not all pet friendly. Some of the plants that prove to be toxic to dogs include:
Azaleas. These pretty flowering plants are full of toxins that may result in vomiting, diarrhea, coma, and potentially even death.
Tulips and daffodils. The bulbs of these flowering plants may cause serious stomach problems in addition to difficulty in breathing, and increased heart rate.
Sago palms. Eating just a few seeds of this is enough to cause vomiting, seizures, and liver failure in dogs.
- Lawn and garden products.
Some lawn and garden products may be poisonous to dogs if they ingest them.
What to do if your dog consumed one of these items?
If you think your dog has been poisoned by consuming any such items, you must stay calm and act quickly. In such serious situations, it is humane to panic, but you have to proceed rationally.
First, gather up any of the remains of what you suspect poisoned your dog. Those remains will help your vet to treat your dog. If your dog has vomited after consuming any foreign item, collect the sample in case your veterinarian might need to examine it.
Then, try to keep your dog calm by comforting it in any way possible and call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) at (888) 426-4435 and brief them about the incident.