You can’t resist those pretty puppy eyes, sitting by your side, begging for a bit of whatever you’re eating, can you? As tempting as it may sound to share your food with your pup, our pets cannot digest the same food as us- it might even be toxic to them.
If you have a curious dog, which is always sniffing up on things, snatching any chance to munch away on every tempting thing (how many cushions has your dog destroyed?), then you might already be aware of how difficult it is to stop this habit. But all this supposedly harmful behavior can prove deadly to your dog’s health.
Here is a guide to keeping your pooch away from accidental toxic exposure.
Chocolates ingested in any form, treats, biscuits, or straight up a chunk of it, can prove to be fatally dangerous to your dog’s health. Chocolates contain substances such as methylxanthines, caffeine, and fats, all of which are toxic to your dog. Darker chocolates pose an even higher risk as such. If you see any signs of diarrhea, hyperactivity, excessive urination or vomiting, tremors, or seizures after your dog ingests chocolate, rush to the vet immediately.
Foods that contain caffeine, like coffee, tea, energy drinks, etc. must not be eaten by your pooch. These may be hazardous and highly toxic to the heart, intestines, and nervous system. Increased heart rate, hyperactivity, restlessness, or panting are a few symptoms of exposure to toxins.
If you’re habitual of sharing any fast food leftovers, junk foods, or foods cooked in oil with your dog, STOP that right now. Burgers, ribs, fried chicken, etc. are high in fat, and cause Pancreatitis in dogs. Apart from this, it can severely affect the digestive system causing vomiting and diarrhea.
Even though fruits provide your pooch with essential vitamins and minerals, the seeds or pits in fruits like peaches, mangoes, plums, and persimmons are the problems. These seeds might cause inflammation of the small intestine and intestinal obstruction in dogs. Also, plum, peach, and cherry seeds contain the chemical cyanide which is toxic to both humans and dogs lest the pit be broken and consumed. Even grapes and raisins might cause acute kidney failure in dogs. As little as four grapes can severely affect your dog’s health.
Milk and Dairy Products
As popularized by kids’ cartoons as it is that pets love milk, it is unfortunately not true. As tempting as it sounds to share your ice cream with your pooch on a hot summer day; however, dairy products can result in diarrhea and other digestive tract related problems. The enzyme lactase, necessary for the digestion of lactose present in milk, is deficient in adult dogs.
Many cookies, candies, and chocolates contain nits and should not be given to pets. Some nits such as peanuts, almonds, pistachios, and walnuts are very harmful to your furry best friend and can cause severe digestive issues, or may cause an upset stomach, obstruction of throat/intestinal tract, toxic poisoning or even neurological seizures. Vomiting, loss of muscle control, and lethargy are few symptoms.
Some other food products that may be toxic for dogs are alcohol, fat trimmings, and bones, mushrooms, nutmeg, onions and garlic, raw eggs, meat and fish, salt or yeast dough. Ensure that your pooch never accidentally ingest these. In case it happens, rush to your vet immediately.